A tale of war, pandemic and manslaughter - two men who returned from World War 1 only to die in 1919!

While we're all staying at home during the COVID-19 pandemic, members of the Society of Australian Genealogists have a webinar each Friday afternoon.  Today's theme was Anzacs.  I'm sharing a short presentation I made on our family to recognise a very different Anzac Day 2020.


It was only four years ago that I became immersed in the stories of my family but I’d always known the story of my great uncle Francis Joseph Macleay Gersbach.  I didn’t know the story of Frank’s cousin, Henry Joseph Porter.

So four years ago I asked my cousin to give me access to the family bible.  To my amazement, the bible contained photos of Frank and his parents, my great-grandparents, Francis Gersbach and Margaret Killion, along with Frank’s birth certificate.  Frank was born in Glen Innes just over 130 years ago.  The family moved to the inner west of Sydney when Frank was a young child.  

As I’ve come to know more, I wonder if these were the photos that Frank took with him when he departed from Sydney in May 1915.


Here we have Frank’s enlistment papers.  If you look closely at the details and signature, you’ll see that Frank uses K rather than H at the end of his family name, Gersbach.  Was he trying to distance himself from his German heritage?  Frank’s grandparents had arrived in Australia 60 years earlier to escape war in their homeland.  They settled on the banks of the Macleay River in northern NSW where their 10 children were born.

A few months later, my cousin gave me the portrait on the right.  It's great-uncle Frank! 

I'd asked about Frank’s medals.  They were found in the bottom of a box filled with old coins and button.  I’ve cleaned them as best I can.  I'll be carrying them tomorrow morning for our neighbourhood front garden remembrance. 


About 18 months ago, I visited Betty, a 90 year old half second cousin one removed, in Kempsey.  My original contact with her family was through Facebook but I’d written her a letter asking if she had anything to share with me.  

To my surprise, she gave me a small parcel of treasure mementos from her father, Charles (Charlie) Quinn, who was Frank’s half first cousin.  When I hesitated, she explained that if I didn’t take them they’d probably be lost.  As I went through the photos and cards, I could see how close our two families had been over 100 years ago.  

Here was a postcard written by Frank to Betty’s father showing the ship he was on sailing to Gallipoli.

We both had a few tears as I told her the story of Frank and our family.  Frank fought in both Gallipoli and France.  He was wounded in both places.  In March 1918, Frank returned to Australia and was discharged “unfit” in July 1918.  He was only 28.  


Nine months later, Frank died at his parent’s home in Stanmore with his death recorded as “pneumonic influenza; general debility due to gas, 9 months on active service”.  He was just 29.  You can see the letter from his mother, Margaret, to the “Minister of Defence” advising of his death.  Margaret died 3 months later from pneumonic influenza but not before she’d seen her two sister die the same way.  

Here’s the grave at Rookwood where Frank is buried with his parents and sister.  My grandmother died in 1965 and never let us forget what had happened to her family in those years.


Now turning to the story of Frank’s first cousin, Harry.  He was the son of Henry Porter and Rose Killion.  He was born in November 1887 in Kempsey.

Harry enlisted in July 1915.  Harry served as a stretcher bearer in France and was awarded a distinguished conduct medal for his service.  

The search continues for a photo of Harry.  However, scouring the unidentified copies of glass plate negative photos at the Kempsey museum, I found this photo labeled “Porter women”.  After lots of investigation, we’re certain that this is a photo of Harry’s mother Rose and his daughters, Cissie and Dattie.

On the right is a letter written in September 1917 by Cissie.  In this letter, she’s asking about Harry's well being.  She says that the family would like to hear as their mother is "in the most delicate health".  Rose did see her son's return to Australia in 1918.  She died in April 1919.


Harry died as the result of what we would now call an “unprovoked one punch attack”.   A newspaper report covers the circumstances of the attack on Harry by James Campbell.

"(L)ate in the afternoon of November 3 Porter was outside the Star Hotel at the corner of George and Dalley streets talking to some friends. Accused was near the group. During the discussion about the military ribbons Porter was wearing, including the D-C.M. decoration, accused, it was alleged, struck a violent blow. Porter fell and struck his head against an electric light post.  Accused then went Into the hotel, and when questioned denied that he hit Porter on the jaw. Taken to Sydney Hospital with a fractured jaw, Porter died two days later.”  

The Jury returned a verdict of guilty of manslaughter, with a strong recommendation for mercy. His Honour sentenced Campbell to 12 months goal"  with a recommendation for release after six months.

On the right, we have a photo of Campbell taken when he entered Long Bay Goal from the collection of the NSW State Archives.  

Harry is buried with Rose at Rookwood.  


Traditional "sleuthing" has come up trumps again and I located Harry’s great niece in Newcastle.  Although she didn’t know much about the extended family, she and her daughter joined our family Facebook group.

You can imagine my delight when they posted photos of those very medals that Harry was wearing along with the box made by his father that they’ve been stored in for 100 years.

Any only yesterday, Harry’s second great niece posted the photo of the handkerchief embroidered by Harry for his mother!


This shows the toll on our family in 1919…..three sisters and Frank died from the effects of the Spanish Flu and Harry died as the result of an unprovoked attack.  


Most popular posts

Our Family Blog

"An Irish Famine Orphan in Australia" - Jane Feeney, "My woman of importance"

From Feeny to Feeney - Our DNA discoveries!